A brief history on how I became…
…a naturopathic physician practicing family medicine at Selkirk Naturopathic Clinic in downtown Maple Ridge:
I have always been interested in biology and the inner workings of the human body. At quite an early age I realized that the foods I ate played a major role in how I felt. In high school, I discovered that playing field hockey made me energized and elevated my mood.
I found meditation and deep breathing to be effective in tuning out my surroundings and helping me find an inner state of peace.
Once I completed my Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from the University of British Columbia, my plan was to continue training in conventional medicine… until I traveled to Korea to teach English. It was during my twelve months spent in Asia, immersed in a culture where traditional herbal medicine and acupuncture are the primary medical model, that I started to change my tune.
Upon returning to Canada, I met with a naturopathic doctor and began to understand the differences in philosophy between NDs and MDs. Because naturopathic physicians are able to spend longer periods of time with patients, delve into the root cause of their imbalance, and educate them on healthy choices, I was hooked!
I appreciate life and the gift of health; it is my mission to inspire you to do the same.
I treat the following health conditions and have a special interest in women’s health, gastrointestinal disorders, weight management, mental/emotional imbalance, fertility, autoimmune disorders, detoxification and endocrine disorders.
- Food allergies
- Thyroid disease
- Grave’s disease
- Hashimoto’s disease
- Adrenal fatigue/insufficiency
- Blood sugar imbalances
- Mood swings
- Weight loss
- Acid reflux
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Fertility & Infertility
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Severe menstrual cramping
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Acne, eczema, psoriasis, rashes
Education, Training & Naturopathic Community Involvement
I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from the University of British Columbia before completing a four-year doctorate program at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine (BINM). More information on the comprehensive training of naturopathic physicians can be found here. During my fourth year at BINM I took on a more active governing role and became vice president of the Boucher Naturopathic Students Association.
As part of my clinical experience in fourth year at Boucher, I had the opportunity to provide health care at the Vancouver Friends For Life Society, an organization that offers alternative solutions to those with life threatening illnesses such as AIDs and cancer.
I am currently a faculty member at Prime Vitality School of Colon Hydrotherapy in North Vancouver in which I regularly teach anatomy, physiology, and pathology of the digestive tract.
After graduating from Boucher and starting my own practice, I returned to assist the administration department in the selection process for new student admissions. Also, in early 2013, I became a clinical faculty member in which I supervise third and fourth year students during their clinic shifts. In the fall of 2013 I became a member of the Boucher Society, helping to provide guidance and leadership to the Board of Governors which oversees the goals of Boucher.
- Naturopathic Cardiac Life Support Course (2016)
- Natural Dermatology Masterclass (2016) – Topics: Acne, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Melanoma & skin cancers, Eczema – atopic and contact dermatitis, Skin infections, Lupus, Premature aging
- Institute of Women’s Health Conference (2016) – Topics: Hypocortisolism, Chronic fatigue, Chronic inflammation, Hepatic steatosis (Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), Insulin resistance, Paul Anderson’s Bootcamp on SNPs, genomics, and methylation
- AARM Restorative Medicine Conference (2016) – Topics: Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome, Hypothyroid & Hashimoto’s, Adrenal Fatigue, BHRT (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy), Insulin dosing for diabetes, Optimizing fertility & PCOS
- Chelation therapy (2015)
- Acupuncture for infertility and IVF (2015)
- Methylation and Bioindividualized Medicine – SNPs & methylation (2015)
- Doula Certification (2014)
- Naturopathic Pediatric Care (2014)
- Naturopathic Cardiac Life Support (2014)
- Meditech BioFlex Cold Laser Therapy (2014)
- Advanced Obstetrics Training with Dr. Cathy Carlson Rink, ND (2014)
- Natural Gastrointestinal Masterclass (2014)
- Methylation and Nutrigenomics Part II training with Dr. Ben Lynch, ND (2014)
- SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) training with Dr. Allison Siebecker, ND (2013)
- Methylation and Clinical Nutrigenomics Part I training with Dr. Ben Lynch, ND (2013)
- Healing Hashimoto’s (Thyroid Disease) with Dr. Alan Christianson, ND (2013)
Alumni & Clinical Faculty Member of Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine
Canadian Naturopathic Foundation – Explore Your Health