There are estimations circulating that more than 75% of our North American population is sensitive or intolerant to gluten (this is different from Celiac disease in which gluten amplifies an autoimmune destruction of the villi in the small intestine).
I often suggest to those I see in practice that they eliminate gluten, if not just for a few weeks to give their body a break. They commonly report an improvement in energy, sleep and their body’s ability to deal with stress.
For those with autoimmune conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes type I, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, lupus, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, etc.), removing gluten from the diet is correlated with improvement in the condition.
Whole Foods has put together a list of delicious holiday dishes that are 100% gluten-free:
- Roast turkey with apples and onions
- Green beans with goat cheese, cranberries and bacon
- Roasted spice sweet potatoes and pears
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with walnuts and crispy bacon
- Garlic and herb mashed potatoes
- Gluten-free bread stuffing
- Foolproof turkey gravy
- Cranberry sauce with clementines and cinnamon
- Butternut custard pecan pie
Enjoy your thanksgiving and Christmas dinners!